Friday, May 23, 2008

Separation Anxiety


Today was the day. 68 of our lambs hit the road to their new home on a farm in New York, and then on to a dinner plate near you.

The ewes had their first milking of the year as well. Then its no surprise then that their mothers were in a rough state today. The ewes constantly pace their pasture, calling out for the lambs. Sheep are pretty damned loud to begin with, but take away their kiddies and its nearly deafening. It is a bit sad, but it is all part of dairying. No babies, no milk.

It is lovely to be working before sunrise, to see the whole day unfold before your eyes. And in a strange way it comforts me to be too exhausted to stay up much past sundown: Its dark, its time to sleep.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing, I love what people's lives become: you there with sheeps, me here in downtown L.A.

What is your e-mail so I can invite you to my private blog?

Beques said...

Hey, that was me, Beks there, under a diff. Gmail.

kate said...

sheepies!