Sunday, May 11, 2008

Life in the Colonies


The move to Vermont has been fruitful. So far I've met some amazing folks, learned much of sheep and their ovine ways, heard one of my farmer heroes speak, and had some great friends visit. And rest assured, I'm eating insanely well.

I am living in the southern part of the state, outside the village of Townshend (est. 1754) working on a sheep dairy called Peaked Mountain Farm. We're in the foothills of the Green Mountains, not too far from Brattleboro, a town recently noted for voting to arrest Bush and Cheney if they ever set foot in town.

I spend most of my time moving sheep around on pasture and taking care of newborn lambs. After the lambs are weaned (and sold to a farm in New York) we'll start milking the ewes and making cheese. If you get a chance to try Peaked Mountain Farm cheese, do it. Its probably the best raw milk sheep cheese in the country. However, its only distributed in the immediate area and to a few New York City and Boston area restaurants. Or if I really love you I'll FedEx you some.

Anyhoot. I'm blogging, something I thought I would never do, to keep all y'all informed of what I'm learning, experiencing, and hoping to do with this wealth of agricultural lore. I hope to post recipes, dance steps, and photos as well.

I'll be out here until October at least, and then hope to make my way back to Minnesota to start the search for a permanent farm home!


3 comments:

Laufey said...

yay! im bookmarking you. this is so far of of what i'm experiencing here in reykjavík.so this will be very interessting to read:)

Jesse The Jealousy said...

I am blogging now too.
I'm very glad you are as well.
I like the pictures of sheep.

kate said...

welcome to the lovely world of blogs. i am really excited to be able to keep an eye on you! i've missed ya!